Saturday, December 17, 2005

Felted Bag Story

Ok, so I just resarted a felted bag I'm making. You're probably thinking that "felting will cover up a mistake". Well, it will. But not this one. It's my mom's christmas gift. She bought 2 skeins of cascade 220 and said they were 100 yards each. I found a pattern where I need 200 yards, but the patterns usually lie to me, and even if I have correct gauge I end up using alot less. So I thought that would be fine. But then I started knitting and realized that it really wasn't 100 yards that I had, but 100 grams. I had 440 yards. But that's not where the dumbness ends. After checking gauge, I started knitting. I started the pattern for the bottom of the bag, then decided to see how big it would be when I felted it. I read somewhere that if you felt something you should CO how many you want the actual size to be plus 20% of that. So I found 5/6 of the stitches and measured them. (Do a little math here!) They were way too short for the bag I was making. So then I thought that if I have 2 skeins of the stuff I can just double size all the stitch numbers & decreases. So I ripped out and started over. blaaaa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home